Yorktown is most famous as the site of the ultimate battle
of the American Revolutionary War
On October 14, 1781 : A French column from Rochambeau forces took Redoubt No. 9 and an American column from the Continental Army under General Lafayette took Redoubt No 10. Cornwallis asked for capitulation terms on October 17. After two days of negotiation, the surrender ceremony occurred on October 19. Negotiations between the “United States” and Great Britain began, resulting in the Treaty of Paris of 1783.
ORDRE LAFAYETTE ORDER PROGRAM
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2017
1) 11:00 am, Unveiling of the statue of Lafayette on Water Street, Yorktown
Click on, to enlarge / From L to R; Statue of Count de Grasse, Marquis de La Fayette (the new statue), George Washington
..« This tribute to Lafayette was made possible by members of the American Friends of Lafayette with special thankfs to : The Celebrate Yorktown Committee of the Yorktown Foundation, the County of Yorktown, the Massachussetts Society of the Cincinnati and the members of the Ordre Lafayette » (MEMBERS FROM USA, CANADA AND FRANCE)
From LtoR: 1) Johnny Jeulin, Officier Ordre Lafayette, VP Ordre Lafayette Canada, Count Jacques D’Orléans, Dr Gérard Charpentier, Grand-croix Commandeur Ordre Lafayette, President Ordre Lafayette USA and Canada, Michèle Vlahos, Chevalier Ordre lafayette, Ambassador ordre Lafayette Boston, & Area, Count de Pusy La Fayette, Commandeur Ordre Lafayette
2) Michèle Vlahos, Gilbert de Pusy La Fayette, Michel Charbonnier Consul General of France – Washington and Gérard Charpentier, Benoit Valdelièvre, Chevalier Ordre Lafayette, Ambassador ordre Lafayette Yorktown & Area
1) Gérard Charpentier, Christine Jeannin Chevalier Ordre Lafayette- France and Director of « The ArtisT » 2) Nicole Yancey Past Honorary Consul of France For Virginia, Gérard Carpentier, Johnny Jeulin, Christine Jeannin.
1) Gérard Charpentier, Michel Charbonnier 2) The site
1)2) Gérard Charpentieron the site for his address
DISTINGUISHED GUESTS, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN AND DEAR FRIENDS – GOOD MORNING
It’s a privilege and a great honor for the Ordre Lafayette Order to be here today for the unveiling of the statue of Lafayette the “Hero of two Worlds” and one of the fathers of the modern democracy on the principles of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity.
The Ordre Lafayette is an international organization, in France, Europe, USA and Canada and was established to perpetuate the memory of General Marquis de Lafayette and to encourage and inspire the friendship between, France and USA and globally all the nations.
Between 1778 and 1781 more than 44 000 French soldiers and sailors fought alongside the Insurgents of the 13 colonies, more than 5 000 gave their lives for their independence.
240 years ago here in Yorktown more than 10 000 French soldiers and sailors were engaged in the ultimate battle … speaking English with a French accent… like me! And among them was the General Lafayette.
Today, many French people are here for the unveiling of the statue of Lafayette and among them is Gilbert de Pusy La Fayette his descendant
Please welcome him … Thank you
1) Gérard Charpentier 2) The statue of Lafayette unveiled
1) Gérard Charpentier, Benoit Valdelièvre, Gilbert de Pusy la Fayette (statues), Michèle Vlahos, Johnny Jeulin 2) Benoit Valdelièvre, Gilbert de Pusy La Fayette, Carmen Ortiz, Michèle Vlahos, Gérard Charpentier
1) Jacques d’Orléans, Gérard Charpentier (statues) Johnny Jeulin 2) Gérard Charpentier and statues
2) 7:00 pm, Dinner at American Revolution Museum, Yorktown
1)Nicole Yancey, Gérard Charpentier, Jacques d’Orléans 2) Bernard Guet Chevalier Ordre Lafayette Ambassador Ordre Lafayette for Philadelphia & area, Gérard Charpentier, Gilbert de Pusy La Fayette, Michèle Vlahos, Jacques d’Orléans
1) Bernard Gut ans his wife, Gérard Charpentier 2) Johnny Jeulin, Jacques d’Orléans
« Ordre Lafayette Table » Fanny and Benoit Valdelièvre, Carmen Ortiz, Michèle Vlahos, Gérard Charpentier, Gilbert de Pusy La Fayette, Johnny Jeulin, Jacques d’Orléans
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 19, 2017
1) 8:45 am, Wreath laying at the « French Cemetery », Yorktown
« This simple cross is thought to mark the burial place of about 50 unidentified French soldiers killed during the Siege of Yorktown »
2) 10:30 am, Parade on Main Street, Yorktown
Gérard Charpentier, Benoit Valdelièvre with the dancers of « The ArtisT » troup from France – Performing the « La Fayette Ballet »
3) 11:30 am, Official Ceremony at the Monument to Alliance and Victory, Yorktown
4) 12:30 pm, Reception at DAR Custom House Garden, Main Street, Yorktown
Lunch time in the garden
5) 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm – “La Fayette Choreography”
« Under the Gracious Patronage of the Order Lafayette USA and Canada » at University Theater 4608 Hampton Blvd. Norfolk Va.
After the show, a » Commemorative Diploma » is offered by Gérard Charpentier to the members of « The Artists », the members of the Ordre Lafayette and friends.
La Fayette ballet: la tournée US.
Followed by “Le verre de l’amitié” with Champagne Lafayette and tasting of the famous « Lafayette Liberty Pie » offered by « Les Moulins La Fayette » of Miami, Florida.